Snow Tires For the Nissan Juke

Anything related to the Juke can go here.

Snow Tires For the Nissan Juke

Ad

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 am
It is almost that time of the year again. :( (It was around freezing last night)

It looks like the tire rack already has all the size info for the Nissan Juke, but make sure yours didn't come with 16 inch rims.
Tires for 2011 Nissan Juke SV AWD (all seem to have the same size tires, but make sure to go put your own model information in if you aren't sure)

I personally run a set of studded General Altimax Arctic tires on my Mazda Protege 5. They grip packed snow and glare ice almost as good as dry blacktop. I assume that an AWD Juke with an identical set would be unstoppable until you get it highcentered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:10 am
Moto, I have a question for you (or anyone else that may have the answer).

The AWD Juke is reported to wearing 215/55 R17 size tires. I do understand the numbers 215, 55, R17, but, nevertheless, I am not an authority on tires. Do you think the Juke could be fitted with alternate size tires; for example: 215/60 R17 or 215/65 R17 (I have changed the profile of the tire)? Will these tires fit into the wheel arch of the Juke? Who can answer this question?

I have not found a very wide selection of off-road 215/55 R17 size tires. Now, if the Juke can be fitted with the alternative tires I have stated above, this would give a cushier ride (at the cost of handling) and, a much wider range of off-road tires become availabe.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:09 am
You will have to ask the dealer, but I bet you can probably get away with one size over on the sidewall. Maybe not though. We'll find out in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:18 am
In eyeballing the Juke wheelwells, I'd guess a larger tire would indeed fit.
When the aspect ratio changes, only the overall tire diameter changes and
the width stays the same. It looks like there's plenty of wheelwell room....?

Lifting would be a possibility to fit larger tires, and I'm sure that'll be one of the
first modifications to be tried.

By the way, what kind of front suspension does the Juke have, struts or A-arms?
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:06 pm
Macpherson struts in the front and the rear suspension depends on FWD or AWD models. FWD is torsion beam and the AWD is independent multi-link. I have a feeling the independent mutilink might still work with a strut, but again I haven't seen it in person yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 am
Maybe this will help you, John. http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

If you change the profile of the tire, you will most likely have to change the rim size. Not really a problem if you plan on having 2 sets of rims. One set for summer tires, and one set dedicated to snow tires.

The JUKE's final drive ratio is 5.8 (Some tire size calculators will ask for that information.) Sometimes you can make a small change to the profile by changing the width (within what is acceptable width for the rim itself). This calculator lists the acceptable tire widths for specific rim widths, but is not as detailed as my first link...... http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalcul ... ion=submit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:07 pm
Unwillingly, I have been able to test the difference between a Juke in the snow on summer tires, and on winter tires. I had ordered my 4x4 Tekna with a complete set of wintertires, but they didn't arrive on time. So, I was crazy enough to drive my brand new car on summer tires for a week, despite of lots of snow, and then finally got the wintertires. What a difference! The short summary is:
- summer tires: brakes? what brakes?
- winter tires: snow? what snow?
On winter tires the Juke is simply beyond believe, at least the 4x4. You don't notice the snow at all, even if it's high enough to curl back over the headlights. This little car is one tough cookie. On a quiet stretch of road I tried to see at what point it would slip sideways, or perhaps spin the wheels. No chance! The traction control and torque vectoring remain in complete control, and the car behaves as if you are cruising on a dry road. I actually got cheeky enough to enter my downhill garage (seriously steep slope) without even bothering to first clear the 20 cm of snow. No problem. Reversing up-hill next morning through another layer of fresh snow - no problem.
I bet that if the snow would come higher than the roof, the Juke would simply dig a tunnel. The sat nav might not work anymore though - is there an optional periscope for the Juke? By the way, my snow tires are 215/55R17 - same size as the summer tires, but probably from a different planet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 am
Hello everybody!
Since MOST of the US was hit with snow recently I was curious as to if you bought snow tires. If you did what brand? size? style?
Also,
Can anybody update John's post above? Specifically:
"The AWD Juke is reported to wearing 215/55 R17 size tires. Do you think the Juke could be fitted with alternate size tires; for example: 215/60 R17 or 215/65 R17. Will these tires fit into the wheel arch of the Juke? "
Will the wheel rub at full lock?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm
The stock Goodyears RS-A were just OK. Also did not like the fit on the stock rim. The rim sticks out as for as the tire. Switched to Continental Extreme Conact DWS 235/50 R17 little wider but still the same diameter. These tires are amazing in the deep snow, hardpack and slush. They are smoother, quieter and I don't have to switch out for summer. Per Tire Rack this is the size difference between the above mentioned tires.
Stock RS-A 26.3" diameter 795 revolutions per mile 8.9" sectional width
215/60 R17 27.2" 768 9.3"
215/65 R17 28" 745 8.7"
New tires 26.3 793 9.7"
The speedometer will need to be recalibrated and the this will effect overall performance mainly slower acceleration. Turn the wheel from lock to lock and visually check if an additonal inch on the existing tire would fit.
Hope this helps

Too cold the check if the the taller tire will work. My wider ones fit fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 am
the original tires were performing terrible, however i do live in alaska. just put on a brand new set of blizzaks ws70, and wow, unbelievable the difference. original tires will be used for summer only, at best.
Next

Return to Chat About the Juke